- My older brother Alex is very musically gifted (he has a natural talent for music). He can play any tune from memory, without looking at sheet music (musical notation written on paper). He spends all his free time strumming a guitar (playing a guitar), composing music (creating music), and writing song lyrics (the words to a song).
- Alex and his friends formed a band that has attracted a sizable following (a lot of fans) in our city. They started out playing gigs (giving small, informal performances) in bars and clubs, and they used the money they earned to record their debut album (record their first CD).
- A remixed track (a song that has been modified electronically) from that CD then became a massive hit (a very popular song) on the local radio station thanks to its catchy tune (memorable melody) and upbeat tempo (fast rhythm).
- Their second album will be released (it will be made available to the public) at the end of the year; they’ll record it live at their next show. Alex dreams of going on tour – he’s just waiting for his big break (big opportunity to become famous) to get his foot in the door of the music industry.
- As for me, I love singing along (singing together) to my brother’s music, but a career in music isn’t for me – I’m completely tone-deaf (unable to correctly identify different musical notes) and I always sing off-key (sing the incorrect melody).
musically gifted: a natural talent for music a natural talent for music
sheet music : musical notation written on paper
strumming a guitar: playing a guitar
composing music : creating music
song lyrics: the words to a song
a sizable following : a lot of fans
playing gigs: giving small, informal performances
record their debut album : record their first CD
a remixed track: a song that has been modified electronically
a massive hit : a very popular song
catchy tune: memorable melody
upbeat tempo: fast rhythm
album will be released: be made available to the public
big break : big opportunity to become famous
music industry: Music production
singing along : singing together
completely tone-deaf: unable to correctly identify different musical notes
sing off-key : sing the incorrect melody
contemporary music: modern music
orchestral/instrumental music: music with instruments only (no singing)
solo album: CD featuring one singer alone, not in a group of singers
compilation album: a CD with a collection of songs from many different singers/bands
cult following: a very dedicated/devoted group of fans