How to answer this essay?
- Introduce the table.
- Write what it shows/compares.
- Write the main body paragraphs.
- Explain the group trends, give selected figures, compare and explain exceptions.
- Write the summary sentence and check your work.
- you should summarise the key trends and the key exceptions that you have described in the main body.
Model Answer | Marked as Band 8
Cohesive connecting words that improve coherence in writing . Useful less common words that boost fluency in writing .
- The table compares the number of people who have to pay the minimum daily water requirement in five countries. It also shows the percentage of the average daily wage that each location represents.
First of all, we can see that Tanzania and Uganda have the highest daily cost of water, while the United Kingdom and the United States have the lowest. This means, for example, that Tanzanians pay 6.4 cents, while Americans pay only 0.85 cents for the same amount of water.
These differences are even greater when we consider the percentage of the average daily wage this cost represents. In both Tanzania and Uganda, the cost is significant, accounting for 5.7% and 3.2%, respectively. However, in the UK and US, the cost is only a fraction of the daily wage at 0.013% and 0.006%. And although the daily cost of water in Pakistan is similar to that of the UK, it represents up to 1.1% of the daily wage.
In general, the table shows that there are significant differences between the cost of water in developing countries and the industrialized West.