How to answer this essay?
- Introduce the line graph.
- Write what it illustrates.
- Give a general overview.
- Briefly summarize what happens on the graph.
- Apart from obvious trends, see some less noticeable features.
- Where did the graph rise/decline sharply and where slowly? What is the difference between initial and final figures? Where did the records meet?
- Describe each change on the graph in a separate paragraph.
- This graph is a good example of a situation when students get confused, thinking there is not enough information to write 150 words. In this case, make a lot of comparisons, support your assertions with data and paraphrase the written information.
Model Answer | Marked as Band 8
Cohesive connecting words that improve coherence in writing . Useful less common words that boost fluency in writing .
- The line graph illustrates the average cost that American customers spent on mobile and landline phone services annually over a 10-year period.
- Overall, spending on residential phone services dramatically declined, while popularity of mobile services increased sharply throughout a decade. Also, both of services met at the same record in 2006. In 2001, spending on mobile phone services began by merely $200, while the amount of annual expenditure on the residential phone services was around $700. Over the following five years, expenditure on landline phone services gradually dropped below $600, whereas expenditure on cell phone services rose to just over $500.
- In 2006 cell phones overtook landline phones, and the services became equal in popularity with customers' annual expenditure of about $550. Then, cell phone expenses rose to approximately $750 in 2010, making nearly a fourfold jump relatively to its initial figure in 2001. Meanwhile, spending on residential phone services experienced a steep fall in 2007 and went on to steadily decrease for the rest of the period.
- In summary, spending on residential phone services has seen a significant decline, while the popularity of mobile phone services has seen a sharp rise throughout the period.