IELTS Writing | Test Band Score
How the IELTS Writing Test is Scored?
- IELTS Writing Test examiners give a separate grade for each of Task 1 and Task 2, using the "Band Descriptors" that are shown below.
- They calculate the score for each Task by getting the average score of the following four items:
- Task Achievement (for Task 1) or Task Response (for Task 2)
- Coherence & Cohesion
- Lexical Resource (= vocabulary) and,
- Grammatical Range and Accuracy.
- The examiners use a "Score Sheet" that blends the score for the Task 1 with the score for the Task 2 to give a final Writing Test score. On this score sheet, the Task 2 score is given more weighting than the Task 1 score.